Monday, December 13, 2010

Alternate Ending to Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

So I kinda gave up on the story I was previously working on on this blog. But this last week, I decided to take up a new and shorter challenge. I read Suzanne Collin's trilogy called The Hunger Games. I was entranced, ensconced in the reading position for two weeks straight, going through the three books. At the end of Mockingjay, I felt a major letdown! I couldn't just leave these characters as they were! It bothered me for several days....until I Googled this phrase, "alternate ending to Mockingjay." Surprisingly, several readers who were disappointed by the ending decided to take up their hand at writing and creativity to make the ending they wished Mrs. Collins had provided for them. I read through several alternate endings, still not quite satisfied.

Then I asked myself, "What's keeping you from creating your own alternate ending to this amazing trilogy? One that will enable you to have closure to this epic tale and help you to move on and function normally in life?!" So I did it!! Here's my version of the end of Mockingjay. I have bolded Collins's writing when I've included it in my ending.

Be forewarned! If you have not read these books, do not proceed in reading this entry until you have!!

So here it is!


Beginning top of page 382
I fall asleep on the sofa in the formal living room……

I wake with a start. Pale morning light comes around the edges of the shutters. The scraping of the
spatula continues. Greasy Sae scrambles some eggs on the stove.
Over the eggs, I ask her, “Where did Gale go?”
“District Two. I see him now and again on the television.
Up at the Nut. They’re making progress on restoring it to its old uses” she says.
“Oh” I dig around inside of myself, trying to register anger, hatred, longing. I find only relief.

He finally gave up on me. My old friend has moved on.I don’t blame him. Who would want a crazy person as a lover anyway? I’ll never be fully healed, and he could never sympathize with me. He never entered the Games. The games, if you survive, forever change you , isolate you. You’re never the same. No one will ever understand. Yet, I’m wrong. Two alive to relive the horrors with me, Peeta, Haymitch.

I shake my head to rid my mind of the horrors beginning to creep in again like old friends. The world blurs, but my eyes catch a gleam from out the window, a spot of yellow. No. Two spots. I stand and rush to the window. Two new dandelions, side by side have sprung up in the grass. The first ones this spring as I scan the yard. My mind flashes back to that first dandelion I spotted after the boy with the bread saved my life and offered me the hope to live on. The boy with the bread. Something inside me sparks. I feel a warmth, small but penetrating, burning. A small flame, sunset orange. I squint, refocus on those yellow petals, and burn the image into my mind. I don’t fully understand, but I know this is what I must hold tightly to if I am to continue to live. Adrenaline, my old friend, drips slowly into my veins. I breathe deeply. But all I smell is roses.

I begin to tremble with weakness and anxiety. I frantically look around the room for the source of the reeking rose. Then I remember. I run up the stairs. My foot catches on the last step and I crash onto the floor. I force myself to rise and enter my room. The smell’s very faint but still laces the air. It’s there. The white rose among the dried flowers in the vase. Shriveled and fragile, but holding on to that unnatural perfection cultivated in Snow’s greenhouse. I grab the vase, stumble down to the kitchen, and throw its contents into the embers. As the flowers flare up, a burst of blue flame envelops the rose and devours it. Fire beats roses again. I smash the vase on the floor for good measure.

Back upstairs, I throw open the bedroom windows to clear out the rest of Snow’s stench. But it still lingers, on my clothes and in my pores. I strip, and flakes of skin the size of playing cards cling to the garments. Avoiding the mirror, I step into the shower and scrub the roses from my hair, my body, my mouth. Bright pink and tingling, I find something clean to wear. It takes half an hour to comb out my hair.
I stumble downstairs and feed the clothes I had shed to the fire. At Greasy Sae’s suggestion, I pare off my nails with a knife…..
Once washed, dressed, and fed, I suddenly long for the outdoors, for the woods.

“I’m going hunting today,” I say.

“Well, I wouldn’t mind some fresh game at that,” she answers

I arm myself with a bow and arrows and head out……I skirt around the hole and enter the woods at my usual place. It doesn’t matter, though. The fence isn’t charged anymore and has been propped up with long branches to keep out the predators. But old habits die hard. I think about going to the lake, but I’m so weak that I barely make it to my meeting place with Gale. I sit on the rock where Cressida filmed us, but it’s too wide without his body beside me. Several times I close my eyes and count to ten, thinking that when I open them, he will have materialized without a sound as he so often did. I have to remind myself that Gale’s in 2
, doing some important job rebuilding infrastructure for our new government. He’s made his decision, he has quietly bowed out.

My ears perk up before I realize there is someone else in the woods with me. I scan the trees, my heart beats a little faster. I stay sitting as my head already begins to pound. I pluck an arrow and settle it in the bow. Then I listen. Someone walking, irregularly. Then it stops. I hear chopping sounds. No, they’re more muffled. I swivel my body around, with my arrow in my line of sight. A lone beam of light through the canopy lands on the back of a person, tall and lean, digging, using his real leg. Peeta. My heart skips a beat. I drop my bow and arrow to the ground. I stand up too abruptly and my head begins to spin. I moan and sit back down.

Peeta hears my moan and turns in my direction. He shades his eyes from the beam of light and squints. I see the recognition in his face. His mouth saying my name. I fling my hands to the ground to retrieve my weapon and aim it at him. Real or not real? Peeta drops his shovel and slowly opens his hands to show he has nothing to hide. I lower my arrow. He begins to walk towards me. Loudly, as always.

He’s about 3 yards away when he opens his mouth to speak. “I think you should stick to smaller game. You’re not in that great of shape to be carrying home 180 pounds of meat on your own.”

My bottom lip cracks as I unconsciously turn one edge up. “You’re the boy with the bread here in my woods. Real or not real?”

Peeta takes a few steps closer, his blue eyes clearer than the sky, the fogginess gone. “The boy with the bread is here. Real.” He says quietly and thoughtfully. .

“You’re back,” I say.

“Dr. Aurelius wouldn’t let me leave the Capitol until yesterday,” Peeta says.
I scan his face. Beads of sweat form and course down his temples. His face is flushed from digging.

“Is this rock taken?” Peeta asks motioning to the empty spot, formerly taken by Gale. I stare at the gray rock, cold, empty, still, and waiting.

“No, it’s not taken.”

Peeta moves and gingerly sits down, our arms almost touching. The blond hairs on his arm tickling my arm. I want to think it’s irritating but it isn’t.

I motion 30 yards away towards Peeta’s dropped shovel.

“What are you doing out here?” I ask

“I came out to the woods this morning. I found some primrose bushes over there by that evergreen tree. I thought I could dig them up and plant them along the side of the house. For her. For you.”

My heart wrenches at the name of my sister. But the hope in his voice immediately calms me.

I look up at him, and he is looking right into my eyes, into my soul. He knows me. His eyes flit away. I can’t pull my eyes away from him. I see the burn scars by his ear, down his neck. I touch my own in almost the same place. He knows my pain. I know his. And yet he knows more than I. He knows how to heal the pain. My rudimentary healing knowledge pales in comparison to his innate knowledge of the healer’s art.

Peeta stares at the ground between his knees. Sitting on Gale’s rock. And yet this rock seems to fit Peeta better. My hand reaches out and gingerly brushes a blond curl out of his eyes.

“Thank you” I say. He closes his eyes, and then opens them to look at me.
He reaches out his hand and gently brushes a tear off my cheek I never knew was there.

As our hands lower, they naturally meet at our sides, clasping. His strength and warmth enter my weakened palm and slowly, gently fill my arm, coursing over my shoulder through my ribcage, meeting the flame in my heart, and igniting it. The flame is brighter. Yellow.

Peeta says, “Come.” He stands and pulls me with him. We slowly walk hand in hand toward the evening primrose bushes growing snugly below an evergreen tree.

One bush has been dug up but three more remain surrounding the evergreen’s base.

“In memory of Prim, I would like to keep these primroses here," I say. "A quiet place just for her, to come to any time she wishes. In memory of Rue, too.”

“We can plant this one by the front door of the house.”

A flashback to the woods where Rue died transports me, but only for a moment to remember the song I sang as I dropped flower petals around her. I begin to sing….for Prim, for Rue, for all the others who died because of me, because of the Mockingjay. The one who lives on. Peeta places an arm around me. One mockingjay lands on a branch of the evergreen and stops to listen. A ray of sun shines down on us.

As my song dies out, the spurt of energy that began with the dandelions fades away. The flame burns low. Peeta and I limp back to our homes.

I find the sofa in the living room, where I watch the dust motes spin in the shafts of the afternoon light. Small hope fading away.

Continue reading on Pages 385 to 388


From page 388

Peeta and I grow back together. There are still moments when he clutches the back of a chair and hangs until the flashbacks are over. I wake screaming from nightmares of mutts and lost children. But his arms are there to comfort me and eventually his lips.

One night, after a particularly horrible nightmare, I find Peeta’s arms around me again.

“Sometimes I don’t know how I can go on,” I weep as I clutch him fiercely.

Peeta looks deep into my eyes again, but this time they don’t flit away.

“You must go on. If not for yourself, then for others. You don’t realize how much power you have to make a difference. To affect others. Do you realize the power you have over me? You have forever changed me. I had a crush on you since I was five, but now, forever am I linked to you, because of what we’ve been through together. But it’s more than that, I need you. We share the horrors. We share the pain. And I know we can help each other share hope, and even joy.”

Tears course down my cheeks. He begins to gently kiss them away. Our arms pulls us closer. My lips find his. I begin to feel that thing again, the hunger that overtook me on the beach. I realize this would have happened anyway. That what I need to survive is not Gale's fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that.

Peeta suddenly pulls away and whispers, “You love me. Real or not real?”

I tell him, “Real,”
as I lean into him, into my safety, always.


One Year Later

I place the last dandelion in the vase with the primroses. I set the vase by the window.

I hear a soft knock on the door.

“Are you ready?”

“I think so,” I say.

The door opens and it’s Peeta. He looks well, his scars fading. He has filled out this year, his strength returning. His smile comes easy today, and mine follows. He takes my hand and pulls me into him. He senses my tenseness and looks into my eyes.

“What is it?”

An old familiar fear attempts to grip my heart. “I don’t know. I don’t know if I’m ready to stand again where I did a year ago as I broke into a million pieces.” I remember the moment I attempted to kill myself by nightlock after shooting Coin. Peeta’s hand taking the bite instead. I look down at his hand, a white curved scar lines it now. I caress it gently. “I don’t want to ever go down that path again.”

“Same here. Don’t worry, you’ll do fine. Just remember Rue’s song.” He’s right, the song about the meadow and being safe from harm I have sung so many times I can’t count anymore. It calms my flashbacks and brings me back to the present.

We head downstairs. Haymitch has surprised me this time. He’s on the sofa, and mostly sober.

“Hey sweetheart.” He doesn’t say it with sarcasm but with an understanding, taking us both in. “Here we go again, more ceremonies. Are you ready?”

We all look tentatively at each other, but we know it’s the right thing to do, for the people of the new Panem.

The new presidency has decided to make a new holiday, the first holiday of our new country, to celebrate our freedom from war and our new-found peace. We meet in the village square and await our hover craft ride to the Capitol.

We arrive at the Capitol where Octavia, Flavius, and Venia all squeal and come running towards us hugging me and Peeta. Haymitch,not so much.

We separate to our various dressing rooms. I rinse and dry myself off and Flavius drapes a robe around me. All three are inspecting me. I inspect them back. There is definitely more peace in their eyes. And they’re smiling giddily.

“Oh, so much better than a year ago,” Octavia giggles nervously as she inspects my skin and scars.
Venia holds my hands gingerly running her fingers over the scars.

“How should we do your nails this time? Crème, natural or gold?” The consensus between the stylists is glittering gold.

Flavius shampoos conditions moisturizes and trims my hair. He smiles as he notices the improvement in my hair regrowth. He attempts my mother’s braided crown, and manages to pull it off beautifully despite the shorter length of my hair.

Octavia pulls out a simply shaped shimmering golden gown in a style Cinna would’ve approved of.

They attempt a natural look over my face and add a few golden highlights around my eyes and cheekbones.

I inspect myself in the mirror. I am a dandelion covered with dew and sunshine. The transformation seems to mirror my inner change over this past year. I smile timidly enjoying the enhancement. Unusual for me.

They pin an evening primrose by my collarbone.

I hear a knock at the door. Peeta pokes his head through the door. There’s a glint in his eyes as he walks in. He’s wearing a tan suit with a tie that glows yellow at the top and fades into orange at the bottom. He wears an evening primrose on his jacket as well.

“You look stunning,” Peeta says as he envelopes me in his arms and spins around. I smile up at him and he kisses me gently, cutting it off short. “Don’t want to ruin Octavius’s work.” He aims a smile in Octavius’s direction.

He pauses and then addresses the stylists, “May I have a private moment with Katniss?”

I exchange quizzical looks with the stylists. They stumble over each other exiting the room.

Peeta lifts his polished hand and takes mine in his. With his other hand he reaches inside his coat pocket to reveal a small wooden box painted with flowers.
I gasp.
He grabs a velvet chair and sits down pulling me onto his lap. I must look like I’m about to faint.

Peeta hands the box to me and I open it. Inside a pearl graces a golden band. I gasp again as I recognize the pearl.

“I thought I had lost it!”

Peeta beams, “I know. You were devastated, but I knew you would recover.”

I caress the pearl with my fingers as I had done so many times when there was no other hope to hold onto.

“Katniss, will you be my bride?” I look at him and know there’s no other for me.

“Now and always,” I reply.

He slips the ring onto my finger and we forget all about my hair and makeup.

A knock at the door signals it’s time to go. We hurry to the mirror to smooth back any flyaways and erase any smudges. We stand side by side in the mirror, positively beaming. Holding a secret that is only ours for a few more moments.

We walk hand in hand down the corridor following the stylists whispering to each other. Haymitch stands at the end of the hall, his beard trimmed. He wears a brown suit with a primrose on his lapel. I see a smirk hiding below his facial hair.
“So what did she say?”
The stylists stop dead in their tracks and stare intently at us.
Peeta trying to hold back his smile says, “She said yes.” More squeals and hugs attack us.
When the whirlwind is over, I look at Peeta. “You two keeping secrets from me, again?”

Peeta smiles and shrugs. “It was only necessary.” But I somehow can’t stay mad at them.

Plutarch meets us on our way to the front doors of the mansion. “Oh I love the look! So peaceful! Just what we need today.”

The City Circle again runs over, spills people down the side streets. Officials. Once-rebels-turned-citizens. Victors. Guests of honor fill the seated section on stage, my mother positively glowing, Annie and her baby with a head full of auburn curls. Effie Trinket as colorful as ever. Paylor at stage center. Plutarch sits beside her. On her other side sits Gale. Gale? No. Gale and Delly. My hand goes to my mouth. I squint at Gale. His anger lines have faded. He’s smiling. Delly holds his hand. Wow, what opposites. The boy so angry, hating people with the girl so happy, loving everyone.
I dig around inside myself to find anger, sadness, jealousy. But I find elation.

Peeta and I find our seats by my mother. I look out towards the deafening crowd. I find Cressida and Pollux waving in my direction and smiling. I wave back at them and catch a glimpse of myself on the television screen. A grown woman, so changed from the one at her first interview before the first Hunger Games. Back then she was angry, attempting to be courageous for her mother and Prim. So surprised by the boy with innocent blue eyes and blond curls confessing his crush on her before the world. How the two of them have grown together is a journey of a thousand tales.

President Paylor stands up at the podium and the crowd greets her with unrelenting cheers. Once the crowd quiets, she begins,

“Today we begin the celebration of our first annual national holiday. Our Independence Day.” More cheers emit from the crowd.

“We have all fought for this day. Many of us have died for this day, and many of us live on because of this day. Our day to declare our peace and freedom from war and senseless killing.”

“In deciding what our new national symbol should be we took into consideration the one who represented hope to us all in the midst of hopelessness: Katniss Everdeen.” Paylor motions for me to stand up. The crowd erupts in cheers louder than before. “Katniss is still our mockingjay. Before the war, the mockingjay represented the rebel’s cause. But the mockingjay never ultimately represented rebelliousness. It represented resiliency in the face of all obstacles, it’s goal, peace. So, today, Katniss is our mockingjay of peace.”
Paylor grasps my hand and we lift our arms into the air. The crowd follows raising their hands into the air as if taking flight.

“I would also like to present to the nation our first national monument and memorial.” Paylor walks me over to a towering veiled monument. “Katniss, you may do the honors.” I tug at the golden silk to unveil a golden statue of a mockingjay taking flight clasping an evening primrose in its beak. The statue rests on a tall plaque with the names of those who died defending peace. “May you take a moment of silence to read the names of your loved ones, never to be forgotten for their valor and honor.”

The tv screen rests on the long list of names for several minutes. I find the names of the dead. Cinna. Boggs. Finnick. Prim. Tears spring to my eyes. Peeta’s family. The players of the last 75 Hunger Games. The list goes on.

Paylor whipes tears from her eyes and continues. “Would all the guests of honor please rise.” People dressed in white and gold hand each of us a golden cage with a mockingjay inside. Without thought, I whistle the four note tune of Rue’s to signal the end of the workday. The mockingjay listens and begins repeating the notes. The other caged birds mimic the tune harmonizing with each other in rounds. As the song dies out, I unhook the cage door. The bird only takes a moment to realize its means of escape and takes flight. The other birds are released into the sky circling higher and higher until they are gone. But two remain.

Two mockingjays circle above the capitol buiding singing a tune I recognize. I look around trying to find the singer the birds are mimicking. I finally find my mother humming and watching me with tears in her eyes. I can no longer hold back the tears. Peeta finds my hand as I begin to sing quietly the words to the tune:

From page 389:

Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it’s safe, here it’s warm
Here the daisies guard you from harm

Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

40 comments:

Cindi said...

Sherilee I am amazed at what you did - I have not read the books but I notice how you kept in the same style . I only skimmed the pages because who knows I might read the books - then I could skip to your ending and be happy!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I just finished the last book two days ago and I have been so disappointed! I felt like the ending was a total let down. Now, I feel like the book actually has an ending worthy of the other books.

Shezz said...

Hi Sherilee! Thankyou so much for writing that beautiful ending. You filled the gaps in the text perfectly. I have only just recently read the trilogy and loved the first two books. However, I was extremely disappointed with the ending! I understood where the author was coming from, that she didn't romanticise the notion of war or its effects, but it made for a very unsatisfying ending! Katniss was self centred and weak in the last book ,and her treatment of the two boys was unforgivable! Especially with Peeta giving up everything for her down to the end when she tries to kill herself. You let Katniss say those words that she NEEDED to say to Peeta after that whole time - "Thankyou!". I will always think of your ending as the way it should be. Hopefully they change it in the movies too!

twiggie said...

OMG This is so good! WAY better than the orignal ending. After I finished reading the last book I was so disappointed, there was so much left unsaid and it felt really rushed... like why didn't they incorperate the pearl at the end? She made a point of mentioning it throughout the whole book, and then nothing. Plus, who likes sad miserable endings. I didn't want to see two messed up people end up in such a twisted way, this was a much better and happier ending. Thank you for the closure this book deserved!

Jules said...

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Like you, I was so dissappointed by the ending of Mockingjay and felt it was just inadequte for these characters I grew so invested in. I too began to rewrite it in my head but as I am not the creative writer that you and Suzanne Collins prove to be, I decided to check out some other readers take on it. Yours is the PERFECT ending! I would have loved another scene something like that on the beach, but thats just the romantic in me. :) Great work and again, thank you so much for sharing this. You should take up creative writing if you havent already. :)

Jules said...

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Like you, I was so dissappointed by the ending of Mockingjay and felt it was just inadequte for these characters I grew so invested in. I too began to rewrite it in my head but as I am not the creative writer that you and Suzanne Collins prove to be, I decided to check out some other readers take on it. Yours is the PERFECT ending! I would have loved another scene something like that on the beach, but thats just the romantic in me. :) Great work and again, thank you so much for sharing this. You should take up creative writing if you havent already. :)

Jules said...

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Like you, I was so dissappointed by the ending of Mockingjay and felt it was just inadequte for these characters I grew so invested in. I too began to rewrite it in my head but as I am not the creative writer that you and Suzanne Collins prove to be, I decided to check out some other readers take on it. Yours is the PERFECT ending! I would have loved another scene something like that on the beach, but thats just the romantic in me. :) Great work and again, thank you so much for sharing this. You should take up creative writing if you havent already. :)

Sherilee said...

Thank you for all the kind comments about my writing. It boosts my confidence in my writing ability. I am glad also that this ending gave you closure and some hope for the characters. I've never had my writing give readers such pleasure. It is quite rewarding. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Awesome job. Now I finally feel like Mockingjay was worth reading.

Cereal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Guy Chappuis said...

Thank you so Very Much!! I have been depressed over the books bad ending - it was like the hunger games won - your ending is perfect! It shows that they won and man kind is one of hope and of future.. Please send your ending to the studio making the movie so the world can actually get on with their lives when they have seen the planned forth movie...? :)

Hanah said...

This is absolutely the PERFECT ending! There is no way that I could have made this up in my head. I was sooooooo upset at how it ended and I was constantly thinking about what happened between Katniss and Peeta getting back to District 12 and them grown up with kids. I really hope that you turn this into the movie company so that they can finish the story. Thank you for filling in the missing pieces and tying up all the loose strings. I strongly encourage you to send this to the movie company. Thanks again for clearing things up. :)

Hanah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kira =] said...

Loved it!! I think the author wasn't used to full complete endings given how the other 2 ended abruptly. Thank you for filling it out and bringing it to a lovely, peaceful ending. =]

Belle said...

This is amazing! The only thing that could make it better is tying the loose ends about the other, minor characters and paying tribute to them (Delly, Twill and Bonnie, The Avox Girl, Madge, Johanna, etc.) and details on how society currently works. (District 13, "Capitol," etc). But really! I just finished re-reading Mockingjay and once again, was extremely upset by the ending and lack of completeness but I found this and it works so perfectly and filled that sadness in myself wthat wanted a little more from the ending. Thank you so much!!

ssmith said...

Please rewrite the entire nook or at least from the hijacking on. I need Peeta back to his old self!

Anonymous said...

Loved this! Made me feel a lot better. I only wish you had mentioned Johanna as well. But truly amazing.

btavera said...

REWRITE THE ENDING! (Thanks you did awesome here is another idea)

The ending of the real book was too flat for how emotional and hard it was to navigate with katniss on her final journey. I think honestly the moms character, gale ,and even katnisses mind needed more closure.

BETTER ENDING: The mom and prim get dropped off and the mom sees katniss and suspects something it wrong about prim being here too, She tells prim to stay with katniss (prim objects) and while the mom goes back to save the children, the explosions go off. Making for a better ending since katniss would get closure about hating her mom, so she could have died a hero for saving prim, who latter becomes a doctor and is very near to the Katniss and Peeta.

Katniss and Gale should have had more closure a goodbye of sorts0-he was her best friend. but she should have told him that ultimately she couldnt be without peeta.

More of Peeta and Katniss~ Come on, only one page devoted to them! AHHH SO FRUSTRATING I wanted more dialogue. and more closure mentally with them.

RaeMo said...

Thank you! I finished the books yesterday and felt that Suzanne Collins must have underesimated how her audience would feel about the people in the book. They're like friends to me and to have so little closure killed me! After so much horror, and gore for 1,000 pages 5 paragraphs was not enough closure. I wanted to know how these two people overcame their mental instability and how they really, finally, fell in love and were able to face the future together. So thank you. I too thought the pearl was such an obvious wedding ring, I was shocked she didn't mention it. AND she totally dumped Gale! Thank you for giving me some peace!

FashionistaForward5 said...

Thank you! I just finished the book and wanted so badly for a better ending that tied things together. You should send this to the author or someone. It's really amazing!!

Unknown said...

Thank you SO much for writing this! I finally feel like I have closure, honestly. I finished the book last night and I literally feel drained and depressed but this feels like a truer ending, without being over the top and "fairytale" you hit just the right balance :) Thank you x

Mandi said...

Thanks! I like how you have provided an emotional tie-off to the friendship/romance that developed so cautiously over the three books.

Babydeer said...

Thank you! I have printed your version and folded it up in my book so if I ever read it again, I can your ending right along with it.

Unknown said...

MUCH BETTER
there is so much i want to change in the last book , i wish people start an uprising against suzan , making her rewrite the last book :)
prim must not die , and the end should show some happiness , 1000 pages must end in some sort of a smile .
Thank you for making this beautiful end , i can go on with my life now.

Unknown said...

MUCH BETTER
there is so much i want to change in the last book , i wish people start an uprising against suzan , making her rewrite the last book :)
prim must not die , and the end should show some happiness , 1000 pages must end in some sort of a smile .
Thank you for making this beautiful end , i can go on with my life now.

ALedez said...

Thank you so much!!! Please elaborate more. Give readers a closure between Katniss and Gale. Closure with her mom. You write so well. Again, thank you so much for writing this. The heaviness I felt has lifted as I can replace Collins ending with your ending. I like how you didn't deny the fact that war, loss, and death change people, but you still go on. You have added hope to the conclusion of MJ that Collins lacked.

Unknown said...

WOW!!! I'm feeling so much better. I just read the three books in 5 days, and at the end I was not only disapointed but depressed. You filled several gaps in the original ending. I think that Collins should take this end as an official alternative ending.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I was so depressed and saddened by the rushed ending of Mockingjay but your alternate ending has me feeling much more satisfied. Thank you for writing this!

Unknown said...

WOW!! Your alternate ending just filled such a void I had when I finished Mockingjay. I was crying when I finished reading your ending. It was beautifully written and gave closure to characters I had grown to love. Suzanne Collins wrote three wonderful books but Mockingjay felt like she was in a rush to complete the last 3 chapters. You stretched that out & I can't thank you enough! I have read a couple alternate endings and I'm 100% satisfied with yours. <3

Sherilee said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am happy to see this ending is continuing to bring peace and closure to many people. Feel free to share it and even print it out and place in your Mockingjay novel. Just make sure to acknowledge the source of the ending as this is intellectual property of mine :-) Thank you and continued happy reading! - Sherilee Cornaby

Anonymous said...

I very much was impressed by this...I wonder if the movie will contain an alternate ending like this as well. I was very disappointed after I finished Mockingjay. I thought, "This can't be the end!" Thank you very much!

Unknown said...

Thankyou so much for your alternative ending to the Mockingjay! Like many others I was really let down by the ending and yours has given me closure. You're a very talented writer! Before reading your ending I wasn't expecting such a polished piece of literature but I was pleasantly surprised, it fit perfectly! =o) on another note, I'm usually one to criticise a movie which doesn't stay true to the book, but in my opinion, and from reading many reviews on Mockingjay I think if the movie producers don't make some changes, particularly to the ending, many people won't go to see it. If we're feeling this way after reading the book then it's not something we really want to re-live at the cinema.

Sherilee said...

Thank you so much, Rebecca, for your kind words. I'm so glad the ending gave you the closure you needed. I too hope that when the movie comes out that it ends better than the book did. Either way, I like to imagine that my ending IS the way things turn out for Peeta and Katniss ;-)

Positive Peach said...

Very impressed. I hated the original ending of this book. I've read countless alternate endings and yours is the very best. In fact, until this ending I actually wanted Katniss to end up with Gale. But your ending is perfect. Now... how do we get this ending into the movie?????

Unknown said...

Hi,

I really appreciate the ending you wrote. Great detail and great thought to how you ended it. You should submit your ending to the producers to see if they would use it for the third movies. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I really appreciate the ending you wrote. Great detail and great thought to how you ended it. You should submit your ending to the producers to see if they would use it for the third movies. Thanks again.

ThankYou said...

I can't thank you enough for this ending. I will never read the original again, this is perfect.

Unknown said...

Wow, so, it's been ELEVEN years since you posted this, kind and talented writer. I decided to re-read the books for the first time during my last finals season, sacrificing study time and finding it worth it through every page turn... that's till i reached the end. I remembered it sort of disappointed me back in the day but as a "more mature" reader all these years later, I was NOT ready for such a lousy end.
This ending that you wrote, as many other comments have stated, is magnificent, and gives my heart the closure it needed. Pretty sure I'll dream of it tonight.
Thank you for gifting us this!
much love and admiration, -A.

Sherilee said...

Dear A.
Your comment, even eleven years after I wrote this ending, still means the world to me, as every comment has. Every comment reminds me of the biggest reason that I continue to write - and that is for you and my other readers, that my writing can bring inspiration fun and satisfaction to others. It is one of the most fulfilling things I’ve done in my life.

Thank you for your generous words. I am so happy I was able to provide the closure your heart needed. I hope you dreamed of my ending! Best wishes and happy reading!
Love,
Sherilee